PostDoc search

Kathleen Ann Sindt kas4e at galen.med.Virginia.EDU
Tue Jul 2 23:12:46 EST 1996

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu writes:

> fall...I'd like to know what does the standard letter say? SHould you include
> recommendation letters then? or later if it gets more serious? How well
> do you need to know what you want to do in their lab? How can you be sure just
> from publications what they may be looking to do in the future?

Introduce yourself and say you are looking for a post-doc
position with an approx. grad date.  Somewhere in that letter,
make sure you acknowledge what they do - based on the
literature.  You don't need to know exactly what you want to
do in their lab at inital contact - just provide evidence that
you KNOW what they have been working on.

I wouldn't include recommendations initally.  Send your CV - and
you can either say that references are available or give them a
list with the people names and contact info.

I personally don't know many people who have money beginning a
post-doc position unless it's been a formal fellowship program
they have been applying to.  Many people do get funding during
their post-doc years - and choosing an advisor who will be
supportive of your finding independent post-doc funding is to
your benefit.  The more time you have, the better - but for
some labs- it may be too early.

--
Kathie Sindt
kas4e at virginia.edu