help, please

muriel lederman mstorrie at vt.edu
Wed Jul 3 13:25:29 EST 1996

I was asked to be a part of a "Family-Friendly Taskforce" at my university
(Virginia Tech), a large-land grant institution. The goal is to look at our
current practices and identify other procedures, policies that would make
this university more "family-friendly". In addition to internal surveys, I
would like to collect information on policies at other universities.  If
anyone would care to help, I would like answers to the following:

1. How is a "family" defined at your insitution?

2. What is the best example of a "family-friendly" policy at your institution?

3. What is the biggest problem at your institution with respect to families?

4. If your institution does "job-sharing" (two individuals in one position)
could you send details about the mechanics (benefits, route to tenure,
etc.)?

5. Does your institution offer tuition-remission for family members at
other colleges/universities?

Thanks for your help! PLEASE RESPOND TO ME PERSONNALY AT lederman at vt.edu.

If things gets interesting, I'll post to the net.

Muriel Lederman

Muriel Lederman           lederman at vt.edu     540.231.5702 (phone)
Department of Biology                         540.231.9307 (fax)
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg VA 24061-0406