More Post-doc questions...

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Tue Jul 2 12:11:45 EST 1996

> How far ahead of time should you begin looking for a post-doc, especially for a
> hoping-to-graduate-someday grad student?  And, what sort of credentials are
> most important of a CV? Of course publications, but what about posters,
> meetings etc.?

You should look about a year or so ahead of your anticipated defense.
This
gives you time to apply for and receive independent funding (an dyou
need to know whose lab and what project before you can apply for
fellowships).  Funding is important because it gets you started
writing grants, and also gives you mobility;  most agencies will
let a postdoc transfer their fellowship to another lab if things don't
work out!

As for what matters, a good description of a project, and evidence
for productivity is what I look for.  That means publications.  Ideally
 if you are say in your third year, you should be close to your
first paper. If you are in your 5th, you should have that paper
 published and be thinking about your next one.  Abstracts from
 meetings are helpful since they  indicate you have been out and
about.  A cover letter describing your project with enthusiasm helps.
And, of course a letter
from your boss saying you are a bright, motivated, and pleasant person!

:-)

susan

--
Susan L Forsburg PhD