Tenure...Chronicle story about tenure?

Sarah Boomer sarai at u.washington.edu
Sat Dec 21 17:45:42 EST 1996

Hi -
	I was just looking at the website for the Chronicle of Higher ed,
a great place to look for jobs (I should add).  I tried to read the
cover piece about the woman at Yale who is non-tenured.  There was a
statement about how it was now going to be more difficult to be move from
such a position up.  Of course, I didn't realize that I needed to be a
subscriber to READ the story and so, being cheap and poor, I was not about
to go subscribing.
	Anyone out there who has information or summary of this story,
please post or write me - I would be VERY interested to hear the jist of
this piece.
	As a related issue, what is the climate like out there on tenure
issues.  I noticed that the Next Wave was mentioning some stuff about big
changes in tenure at many places (and I keep hearing these things).  But I
don't see it discussed here at the ol' U. Washington.  Anyone out there
with comments on this?  I was nervous when I saw the Chronicle story about
the woman who was untenured and would likely never move that this had
something to do with the move to unseat tenure.

	Anyway - I'd like to see a little discussion of this issue because
I am, frankly, of the opinion that tenure isn't really promoting the
appropriate people and seems to create a lot of deadwood in the system.  I
would personally like to see it dismantled for those reasons.  Perhaps I
am too naive or I don't really understand what the effect it could have on
people like on the many scientists who are in lower ranking positions?

	Looking forward to hearing from anyone with information and
opinions on this one,

	Sarah
Sarah Boomer				email:  sarai at u.washington.edu
Dept. of Microbiology			work phone:  543-3376
Box 357242				work FAX:  543-3376
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195

personal homepage: