sports & baking & frustration!

ktlee+ at pitt.edu ktlee+ at pitt.edu
Fri Dec 20 12:04:38 EST 1996

rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU wrote:

> Sometimes it seems like you can't be both feminine & a good scientist. I feel
> like I'm forced to choose between being a bitch or being a doormat. Lately, it
> depends on what day it is & how my work is going! I'm not sure if the answer is
> to play the non-feminine game that exist in so many places now, or to fight it
> day in & day out. I guess I choose which face I want to show depending on the
> situation & who is involved. I'm not saying it's the right thing - or it's the
> way to make people wake up to the problem - but sometimes it's the easiest way
> to do what I want to do (my science).

After reading lots of posts on this subject, I am struck by one thing:
the notion that to be feminine we must bake, nurture, clean the lab,
and be a doormat.  I realize that contemporary society seems to have
this image of a woman as always nurturing etc...Don't you know men who
like to bake, are great with kids and aren't backstabbers?

Maybe it's time we realize that we are not less feminine simply
because we bought cookies at the store and are wearing jeans that
probably should have gone into the laundry yesterday!  (Guilty as
charged!;-))

I don't think you have to choose between science and femininity, but
you might have to change your definition of feminine.

Karen

Donning flame-retardent underware now! (not very feminine I
suspect.;-})