Must Read fo All Women!

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 19 00:50:49 EST 1996

In article <E2LvqB.4LH at liverpool.ac.uk>, wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk (Mr. W.Y.
Chan) wrote:

> Susanbnews (susanbnews at aol.com) wrote:
> : Susan B is a must read newsletter for all women. Learn about women from
> : the past who made significant contributions. Read about women who are
> : making a difference today. Do you know how many women have been awarded
> : the Nobel Prize in science? 9 out of  the 300 awarded!  Learn why. Susan
>
> Do you know how many Chinese been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?
> I cant remember yet we represented a 1/5 of mankind, never started a
> world war and probably on the whole treated foriegners a lot better than
> many western countries treated theirs. I sometime thinks these prizes
> are more political than anything else, does a piece of paper and a piece
> of metal means a lot more than saving a life or simply being recognised?
> I sometimes feels Susan B and others like her who campaigns for recognition
> should ought to have channelled more of their energy towards World Peace
> rather than question an empty space in their trophy cabinets.

   Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that "Susan B" is a reference to
Susan B. Anthony, a revered suffragist who was instrumental in winning
votes for women in the United States.  She was the first and only woman to
be put on US currency, the dollar coin, which was only minted in 1979.
   She was very much concerned with the rights of the poor and the
oppressed, and considered women at that time, due to their
disenfranchisement, to be oppressed.  She fought for women and for their
rights.  My opinion is that gender equality would be a big step towards
world peace.  Susan B. was not concerned about any trophy cabinet.
   On the other hand, I think you have a valid point that prizes and
awards are often politicized, and are not a particularly good measure of
the worth of a person's achievements.

Karen