where is everybody/hello

ktlee+ at pitt.edu ktlee+ at pitt.edu
Mon Dec 2 15:22:44 EST 1996

Patricia S. Bowne wrote:

> I agree with those who think this thread is a good
> idea. I'm an associate professor of Biology at a small
> catholic women's college. (SNIP) My current job is the only academic
> position I've had; I just finished my tenth year here and
> became chair of the Natural Sciences, Math and Technology
> division.

I'll chime in, too.  (I don't think I have introduced myself before
this, but if I have, just ignore me...my mind is like a sieve lately!
:-))  I'm an assistant professor of Biology at the University of
Pittsburgh at Johnstown.  It's a regional campus (about 3000 students)
of the University of Pittsburgh, located at the western edge of the
Appalachians.  Though it's affiliated with a huge university, it has
the feel of and goals more in line with small liberal arts colleges.
This is the third academic job I have held.  I did a two year teaching
post-doc at Bryn Mawr and a two year sabbatical replacement at
Connecticut College before taking my current tenure-track position at
UPJ.

> I suppose it counts as an 'alternative'
> career, since my graduate education included nothing about
> either pedagogy or human physiology -- but I really never
> wanted anything except a small-college teaching career.

My graduate school experience was a bit different. My advisor was not
funded during most of my PhD program, so I had to teach lab sections
most of the time I was there.  This often caused some problems between
my advisor and me because he thought I was spending too much time
teaching.  (That's a whole other story...:-\) Though I started out
interested in Marine Biology, my teaching assignments (Human Phys.,
A&P and Neuro) quickly pointed me toward physiology.  I now work in
crustacen physiology (allowing me to keep my fingers in both fields.)
I am teaching three different Human Anatomy courses this term and will
teach A & P II, Human Physiology and a non-majors Life Sciences course
next term.

Most people think that teaching in grad school is a detriment to
getting the PhD done quickly, and in some ways they are right.  I
think, however, that the fact that I had to teach so much is what has
allowed me to keep getting jobs, given that jobs are so hard to find.
Hopefully in 6 years (I'll be 39...) I'll have tenure and can stop
worrying so much about where I'll be living next time.

> I'd be happy to pass on any info about the small-college
> scene that I can --

Me, too.

Karen
Karen T. Lee (ktlee+ at pitt.edu)