Public Speaking/defense

Sarah Boomer sarai at u.washington.edu
Sun Dec 1 20:47:35 EST 1996

My science/public speaking career should speak to anyone who believes that
there is some science to picking out who can talk or teach and who
can't.

I, frankly, never said a word at school - even through three years of
college I was a wallflower.  I was 21 when I came out of long and dormant
shell - and even nowadays, I am fairly shy on first meeting.  My last year
of college I worked for a fine woman who taught me scientific research.
While she coached my hour long "general public" defense, most of my
ability and energy was, simply, natural.  I took away numerous awards
for that talk alone - which blew my mind.  Yes - I have given some bad
talks here and there - but getting up and speaking is something I - for no
explicable reason that I understand - just do.  For my defense, I
practiced and rewrote about five times, almost each time for different
people.  I got some nerves acting up the hour before but when the time
came, it was SOOOOO easy.  Contrary to one of my labmates' opinions, I
like to be really honest right off the bat and smile, admitting my mild
nervousness - that act along usually puts me in a spot where I am no
longer nervous.  I also like to dress a little loudly and include a fair
bit of humour.

	Anyway - all this talk about a little wine or dry talks or
whatever... I, for one, really enjoy getting up and talking.  Call me a
very late bloomer!  And never underestimate the quiet ones.

	Sarah

Sarah Boomer				email:  sarai at u.washington.edu
Dept. of Microbiology			work phone:  543-3376
Box 357242				work FAX:  543-3376
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195

personal homepage: