feminist science; the sperm and the egg story

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Thu Sep 7 11:57:51 EST 1995

Cameron Smith <cameron at ecst.csuchico.edu> writes:

>>>I have been intrigued when looking at biology textbooks which describe
the sperm and egg meeting. (quotation from textbook snipped)...<<<

I remember reading in a medical physiology textbook for one of my
undergraduate classes that "Menstruation is the uterus weeping for a
baby." This seemed a rather Victorian attitude, and a rather odd statement
to be found in a medical text. I pointed this out to the instructor with
the suggestion that he look for a more up-to-date text for his course.
Sherry Marts
American Health Assistance Foundation