Gender-segregated science classrooms.

faerber at ubaclu.unibas.ch faerber at ubaclu.unibas.ch
Tue May 30 15:56:48 EST 1995

Hi everybody,

I'm really amazed what echo this question rises.
But shure, I also feel the need to add my two Pfennig to the discussion.

First, I'm European, and educated in a system with 13 years of school where
the college level is a kind of integrated. After that you should be able
to survive university, means you are allowed to go to.

When ten years ago the question of co-ed as a misfortune for women did
rise in educational sciences, I started to check my own history.
Funny thing, in my case the answer is yes.
Beeing on A-levels in physics, maths, chemistry and biology between the
age of 9 to 14, there was a dramatical drop on bad B-levels in the last
three years(15 to18, so to speak) in maths and physics.
And I remember well that the speed of the lessons referred to three boys
seeing themselves as future noble price winners.

Afterwards during studying biology I had to do physics again, and there
I did find again the fascination of it, but it was to late for a switch-
over. Still I wonder what would be my profession if I would have been
educated in a single-sex school.

And a last mention: Think about of the result of field studies in
educational science about the time teachers (f+m) give to female and male
pupils. When forced to give the girls 50%, they finally gave 30% and
still had the feeling they would look to much for the girls and not
enough for the boys.

Thanks for your patience

pit

faerber at ublacu.unibas.ch