Gender-segregated science classrooms.

Janet Rosen NNFQ99A at prodigy.com
Sun May 28 18:15:55 EST 1995

I think this is an important question especially in view of educational
methods being used today.  Specifically I'm referring to the elimination
of "tracking" , in other words keeping all classes heterogenous with
respect to academic ability.  When I was a student interested in Math and
Science I was placed with other kids of similar abilities and as such did
not feel out of place either as a female or a good student.  I think in
today's school (and I'm speaking from experience as I have 2 children
going through public school right now) the nonacademically oriented kids
are the ones giving the smarter ones, particularly the girls, a hard time.
  I don't think gender segregation, but rather ability segregation is
what's needed.  Having had the opportunity myself of attending a public
high school catering only to the sciences which one could attend only by
the result of a placement test enabled me to nurture my interests with
others similarly interested instead of making me feel like a geek or
outsider and achieve my full potential.
Janet L. Rosen, PhD