Gender-segregated science classrooms.

K:SOFTWARECOMMSDEMONKA9QSPOOLMAIL pippy at emissive.demon.co.uk
Sun May 28 13:19:41 EST 1995

--
K:\SOFTWARE\COMMS\DEMON\KA9Q\SPOOL\MAIL

In article <hmcarv-2605951543050001 at macmedic.fm.ul.pt>, hmcarv at fm.ul.pt (M.
Gama-Carvalho) says:

>Irene Kavanagh wrote:
>
>> P.S. Are there any Europeans out there?

I'm in my second year (undergrad) studying Micro. and Genetics in the
UK. I spent two years as the only female in an A-level chemistry class
of ten. At first the continual flow of sexist comments thrown at me got me down, as did
the teacher's inability to understand that I was actually reasonably intelligent, (male
teacher). BUT, I put up with it and before too long gained enough
confidence to fightback. The "males" soon realised that I was not going
to take it and gave up. In England segregation of sexes for science
teaching has been suggested, but, I think that the only way that males
are going to learn that females can do just as well as them if not
better, and that the females are going to learn how to deal with the
SOMETIMES domineering males, is to put them in a classroom together so
that they can learn to cope/grow up. Isn't this what life is about??!!

Pip Anderson
Pippy at emissive.demon.co.uk
cbs3pra at lucs-03.novell.leeds.ac.uk