Gender-segregated science classroom

Pearse Ward wardp at herald.usask.ca
Fri May 26 18:31:15 EST 1995

In article <3q5c22$qft at sunburst.ccs.yorku.ca>, atrojan at yorku.ca (Allan
Trojan) wrote:

>   This is the twentieth  century but there are many Canadian female students
> not reaching their  academic potential because of a hostile environment in
> their classrooms .  This environment is created by bizarre socialization
of the male
> student that is not unique to just Canadian society but to the American
as well where
> quality of life and people skills are kept to a mimimum .
>
> Gul-Sus

I challenge you to go to any Canadian High School. Check the honour roll.
Check who the scholarship winners have been for the past five years. Check
who won the "Gold Medal" upon graduation. I'm willing to bet that female
students do as well, or better, than male students accademically in high
school.

There may well be gender bias in the classroom. There may well be cases in
which individual students would fare better in gender-segregated classes,
but my gut feeling is that female high school students are doing as well
as their male counterparts.

The problem may be that fewer female students are choosing math and
sciences due to some inherent bias either at home or in the class room,
but those that do seem to do quite well.

Pearse

--
Pearse Ward                            | I never march in
Dep't Veterinary Microbiology          | demonstrations,