Gender-segregated science classrooms.

Ellen M Klann emklann at titan.oit.umass.edu
Fri May 26 17:38:33 EST 1995

My experience in high school suggested that discrimination came from the
teachers rather than the students.  I remember in particular two teachers
who spent the "social" part of the class paling aroung with the male
students.  They generally ignored the female students and I had the
impression thay didn't think we were worth bothering with.  In that sort
of atmosphere it is more difficult to ask questions, and generally feel
"one of the group".

On the other hand I had two male science teachers who were
excited about teaching, gender neutral, and in general great teachers.  I
would rather see excited inspired teachers as the answer to gender
problems.  People who love teaching and their subject don't really care
who they teach.  I thing the bored ones tend to be the ones who neglect
students.

Ellen