Should women be held to same standard?

Pearse Ward wardp at herald.usask.ca
Fri May 26 13:44:08 EST 1995

In article <199505261651.JAA13984 at peseta.ucdavis.edu>,
eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU (Beth Shuster) wrote:

> >Trolling? Flame bait methinks.
>
> Pearse,
>
>   Why do you assume the message from RGyure was flame bait?  She has posted
> numerous times to this group in the past year and generally has interesting
> and well thought out points to make.  Unless someone else has gotten access
> to her account, I doubt that this was meant for bait.

I was unaware that she had posted to this group before. It struck me as
odd that a female accademic would have a problem in determining whether or
not a female colleague should be held to the same standards as a male
colleague.

If the woman concerned was involved in the sexual harassment of a male
student, or was giving preferential treatment to a male student because of
a personal relationship with that student, surely there are rules and
procedures in place in that institution to dela with that kind of breach
in proffesional ethics regardless of gender.

Perhaps Ruth would care to expand on exactly why she is having trouble
deciding on the appropriate course of action.

Again, I honestly thought that this was a male masquerading as a female
accademic and trolling for a response. No offense intended and I hope none
taken.

Pearse

--
Pearse Ward                            | I never march in
Dep't Veterinary Microbiology          | demonstrations,