Should women be held to same standard?

Beth Shuster eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU
Fri May 26 11:52:29 EST 1995

>Trolling? Flame bait methinks.

Pearse,

  Why do you assume the message from RGyure was flame bait?  She has posted
numerous times to this group in the past year and generally has interesting
and well thought out points to make.  Unless someone else has gotten access
to her account, I doubt that this was meant for bait.

Ruth,
  Even though I know that humans (of both sexes) are far from perfect, I
still feel dissolutioned when I see or hear of someone abusing their
position.  It sends a horrible message, both to the individual singled out
(for undeserved positive OR negative) treatment, and to other students.
Unfortunately, it sounds as if there are not formal grounds for recourse
(as there might be if someone had been denied a high grade for work
performed).  Since the perpetrator in this case is junior faculty, perhaps
peer pressure from other faculty would help prevent re-occurence.  Do other
faculty in the Department have similar feelings about these sorts of
things?  If so, the message that this sort of behaviour will not be
tolerated could be delivered by a cohesive effort by the faculty as a
whole.  If she hears it from more than one person, especially from those
senior enough to be voting on promotional decisions down the line, perhaps
she'll listen.  And if other faculty (in addition to you) give students the
same message, then perhaps some of the damage can be healed.
Note that this advice holds regardless of the gender of the perpetrator.

Beth

Beth Shuster
Univ. of California, Davis
eoshuster at ucdavis.edu