Should women be held to same standard?

RGyure rgyure at aol.com
Thu May 25 19:42:22 EST 1995

I have recently had to deal with a female colleague who engaged in
innapropriate behavior with a male student. This was an extremely
difficult situation for me. I had imagined that this new, 1st-year female
science professor in our department would not only be sensitive to gender
issues-- but would be a mentor and advocate for female students. Instead,
she has undermined much of what I have tried to build for seven years.
Students are gossiping-- they are disappointed, disillusioned, and angry.
The male student got a high grade, even though he didn't do the work.

Anyone with similar experiences? I have tried to take the appropriate
corrective steps-- but there is no precedent/policy for such a situation.
Very disappointing, demoralizing.

Ruth Gyure, Assistant Professor, Natural Sciences