Patent Agent info requested

Laurel S. Bernstein lbernstein at isisph.com
Thu May 25 12:35:39 EST 1995

In article <24MAY95.15822853.0108 at VM1.MCGILL.CA> "VIA AGUIRRE,RUMULO E.,MR" <XP1S000 at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA> writes:
>From: "VIA AGUIRRE,RUMULO E.,MR" <XP1S000 at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA>
>Subject: Patent Agent info requested
>Date: 24 MAY 95 14:39:02 EST

>I recently obtained a PhD in plant biology with a minor in
>biochemistry and am interested in information pertaining to
>being a patent agent as a career.
>e.g., salary, job market, work hours, training involved,
>and anything else you may find important would be greatly
>appreciated.

>All the best,
>E. Via

I tried emailing back but it wouldn't go so I'll post.
You can email your questions to me directly if info related to being a patent
agent in the USA is relevant to you. I can't tell you a thing about Canada.
I'm a patent agent for a biotech company in California. I have a PhD in
molec/cell biology (research emphasis was plant systems, by the way) and did 2
postdocs before I changed to patents. I love my job.
By the way I should tell you that I (and probably every other employed patent
agent or attorney in the US) am frantically filing cases before June 8 when
the patent laws change due to the GATT treaty. So please feel free to email
but be patient. We are all working overtime until then!
Laurel Bernstein