Gender-segregated science classrooms.

Janine U15767 at UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU
Wed May 24 13:46:16 EST 1995

On 24 May 1995 16:36:32 GMT you said:
>Hi, all you female scientists!
>
>	I'm a education student at the University of Winnipeg, in Manitoba,
>Canada.  A controversy has recently arisen in our fair city over the
>proposed segregation of junior-high science and math classes in one of our
>schools.  We've discussed this at length-- pros and cons-- and I wonder if
>any of you have any comments.  Did you find that boys were favored over
>girls in your science and math classes?  Why did you decide to pursue a
>career in biology if (as this school of ours seems to assume) girls are
>systematically discouraged from the sciences?  Or is this school of ours
>making false assumptions about the way girls are treated in science and math
>classes?
>	Thanks in advance for any reply
>	(and I really hope to get one or two--I'm curious!)
>	Lana Klassen

Well, I have two responses to that.  One personal and one factual.  Here goes:

1)  I went to a single-gender college (female). I found the atmosphere to be
very conducive to allowing a very introverted science-buff to learn and
express herself.  Of course, this is on the college level.

2)  I just read an article in the local paper about a school here in Aurora,
IL.  It is a Math and Science Academy where the students (both male and female)
live on campus.  They noticed that the female enrollment in their physics
classes was way down.  Upon evaluation, they decided to offer the same class in
a coed and single-gender female version.  I don't have the article with me,
so I'm afraid I might misrepresent the results.  Suffice it to say that there
was a qualitative and quantitative difference in the learning of females in the
two classes, but this wasn't true for all female individuals.  If you'd like
I can send you a copy of the article - it mentions an independent study done
at other institutions as well.  For the list, if you would like me to
elaborate, I'd be happy to once I have the article in hand.

Just e-mail me if you'd like me to mail you a copy of the article, Lana

Janine
UIC
U15767 at uicvm.uic.edu