Gender-segregated science classrooms.

BEDA2C BEDA2C at LAB_3C12.UWINNIPEG.CA
Wed May 24 11:36:32 EST 1995

Hi, all you female scientists!

	I'm a education student at the University of Winnipeg, in Manitoba,
Canada.  A controversy has recently arisen in our fair city over the
proposed segregation of junior-high science and math classes in one of our
schools.  We've discussed this at length-- pros and cons-- and I wonder if
any of you have any comments.  Did you find that boys were favored over
girls in your science and math classes?  Why did you decide to pursue a
career in biology if (as this school of ours seems to assume) girls are
systematically discouraged from the sciences?  Or is this school of ours
making false assumptions about the way girls are treated in science and math
classes?
	Thanks in advance for any reply
	(and I really hope to get one or two--I'm curious!)
	Lana Klassen