small college teaching and the 'promised land'responce to MJ

James P Barassi jpb at nec.iii.net
Thu May 18 15:38:47 EST 1995

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.950516223650.24495C-100000-100000 at ucs.orst.edu>, Mary Jane Nather <natherm at ucs.orst.edu> says:
>MJ
>
>Dear MJ,

 You are right in thinking there are numerous substandard students at many
of this nations finest institutions. It posses a lasting impression
and leaves a bitter taste in ones mouth to realize that many a brilliant
instructor has now attained a new level of expertise, how to formally
waste ones time giving a watered down version because thats what some
students want.

Case in point, as a graduate student it became apparent that many of
the students do infact, truely feel that they deserve a passing grade
because they paid tuition. I did not succumb to the pressure nor did I
buy into the "I deserve" notion put forth by many students. Those that did
well did so on their own accord. I soon had the reputation of being a
"hard-ass". It was never said that I was unfair.

After grad school came med school. Where the quality, or lack of, became
very apparent. Some time in the mid-eighties the qualitative standards
for medicine were reduced due mainly to the decrease in enrollment. case-in-
point. A long standing friend of mine applied every year for 10 years from
'78-'88 to over 50 schools. every year it was the same thing...rejection.
Then in '89 he was accepted into 9 out of 50 schools?? a caviot...he was a
c- student in undergrad, Mcat scores were average...nothing in his
application changed. He got in...Now mind you I am happy for him.
I just wish he would of applied himself while in med school. He has
since graduated and is currently Interning at a fine institution here in
Bean town. Enough said....

Bottom line...I emphatically agree.

JP.