Serving food at your defense

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Tue May 9 11:07:12 EST 1995

mbrown at BILBO.BIO.PURDUE.EDU (Marcy Brown) wrote:
>Marcy Grebus wrote:
>
>>I've had one additional suggestion -- that is *not* professional to
>>serve  cookies and soda at one's defense.  I've received opinions
>> also that it is a good idea to serve food.
>>     ....many edits.....
>When the time came for me to have my prelim, I decided that I was
> already working hard, and that I didn't need to work any harder
> to try and prepare food for my committee.

I agree, the student has enough to worry about.  However, sodas or
coffee may be a good idea, as caffeine keeps the committee from
getting cranky and everyone gets thirsty talking. And the student
will need to keep her blood sugar up!  I got everyone
a cup of coffee before my defense (when they had the door shut
discussing whether or not to pass me before it began)
which was useful diversionary activity so I didnt implode from
pre-exam tension.  But that's  enough.  I certainly don't
 expect students  I examine to feed me (except intellectually!  ;-)

susan
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu