Serving food at your Defense?

Ellen M. Klann emklann at bio.umass.edu
Tue May 9 09:09:55 EST 1995

In message Tue, 9 May 1995 00:38:15 GMT,
  mgrebus at postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Marcy Grebus)  writes:

> Once again, thanks for the helpful advice regarding defending one's
> thesis/dissertation.
>
> I've had one additional suggestion -- that is *not* professional to serve
> cookies and soda at one's defense.  I've received opinions also that it
> is a good idea to serve food.
>
> I'd like to offer some refreshments, but do not want to do something that
> is really unprofessional.  What have others done?  And... if you served
> food, was it homemade?  Is it tacky to serve storebought goodies and
> instant coffee?
> Thanks,
> Marcy

Marcy,

Where I took my orals it was the tradition that halfway through the ordeal
someone from your lab brought in refreshments. This was nice because it
offeed you a break from being grilled and also saved the grillee from the
appearence of bribing as well as the hassle of worrying about food the night
before.

My advice to you is to do what ever is traditional where you are.  This is
not the time to start new traditions, particularly bringing refreshments if
they are usually not offered.  If there is a choice, do what you feel is
most comfortable for you.