TV Movie Producers Looking for True Stories About

MYRNA WATANABE myrna.watanabe at execnet.com
Tue May 9 10:51:00 EST 1995

-> In message number <yarrum-2004952112510001 at 192.0.2.1>, Murray Cohen
-> wrote:
->
-> We are producers of television and film in Los Angeles with movies in
-> development at  NBC, TriStar Television and Universal Pictures.
-> Recently, we¹ve been successful selling  true stories for television
-> movies and we¹re now looking to option other true stories.    We¹re
-> specifically looking for stories that involve women as heroes.  These
-> can include true crime where a woman is the protagonist (e.g. a
-> mother who will not rest until her daughter¹s (sister¹s, mother¹s)
-> killer is brought to justice),  or stories of women who stand up to a
-> system like the story of Silkwood, or other stories where a woman
-> faces incredible obstacles and emerges victorious.  The hero should
-> also face personal jeopardy along the way, i.e. she is afraid for her
-> own survival (physical, emotional or economic survival) but continues
-> on her quest.

I am particularly irked by this request.  As women scientists, we all
are heroes (Is "heroines" PC?).  I can think of almost no women
scientist I know of in my generation or older who did not face some
sort of discrimination, harassment, or subtle indications that she was
not comparable to a man.  After years of watching female undergrads fare
no better, I expect it is the same for many in the younger generations.

My personal heroes have always been female scientists, starting with
Mme. Curie.  We all may not be the stuff of Hollywood -- no blood and
gore -- but I guess we need PBS to sing our praises.

Myrna E. Watanabe

(These opinions are my own and do not reflect those of any of my
employers or clients.)