Affirmative Action Sucks!!

Frank van de Loo fvandelo at ca.uky.edu
Thu May 4 07:08:33 EST 1995

mtaylor at redwood.northcoast.com (Michael) wrote:
>As a "white male" engineering graduate of May 1994, I am still unemployed. I
>have watched less qualified women and minority graduates whom I knew
>personally, get hired on with the very same government angencies that turned
>me down. I have also watched more qualified women and minority friends have
>no problem getting entry level engineering postions. As of 5/1/95, about 80%
>of "white men" in my graduating class are still unemployed. At the same time
>only about 10% of women and minority candidates are unemployed. The problem
>here is that engineering firms and government agencies are trying to make up
>for past discrimination against minorities and women. Being a younger"white
>male", I had nothing to do with these past dicrimination, yet I pay the
>price. Why should I have to pay for the sins of my forefathers?
>     I don't care what the media says about how "white males" still get
>the red carpet treatment. I can personally testify that I have been stiffed
>out of 5 jobs now soley because I am a "white male". Michael

Michael:

a.  This is women-in-bio, not women-in-engineering, nor disgruntled-males
-in-engineering.

b.  Did you have a constructive purpose for posting here, or just decide
to vent your spleen on those who don't need it?

c.  Did you think about any of this when you chose to study engineering?

Not that I'm entirely without sympathy, but I don't much like your post.

Frank.