Shoes, one more time

Toby Hecht EGMP88A at prodigy.com
Mon Feb 27 17:19:32 EST 1995

I have been reading these notes for awhile and I have to say that I am
somewhat perplexed at the controversy about the discussion of shoes that
women wear while doing science.  I have another take on this topic (if
you'll excuse me) from the perspective of a bench scientist of 20 years
who made the transition to a health science administrator.  In my job,
which is dominated by men, often the most imposing person gets listened
to.  In this context, heels often are the mechanism by which small women
are "elevated" in height. I myself am tall and wear flat shoes but some
of my smaller women colleagues have an interest in making themselves
somewhat taller.  I don't consider this a trivial or irrelevant topic and
it doesn't always concern fashion.  Toby Hecht  HECHT at NCIFCRF.GOV