The Bell Curve

Pearse Ward wardp at herald.usask.ca
Sun Feb 19 12:22:40 EST 1995

In article <3i25bn$cnd at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, slauney at ifremer.fr (Sophie
Launey, These Andre Gerard 31 12 96, Ifremer DRV RA, 46.36.30.07) wrote:

> there has been a lot of fuss here in france about that book, and I find it
> hard to believe that people can still write such stupid (and dangerous)
> ideas, and even worse - sell them. I answered to the netter advising him to
> throw away his book and read instead SJ Gould

Tell him not to throw away "The Bell Curve", but to read it and then read
Gould's "Mismeasure of Man" in which he specifically addresses almost
every point made in "The Bell Curve" and shows why the extrapolations
about intelligence made from the experiments cited in "The Bell Curve" are
often not even supported by the original data (which he has painstakingly
dug up and re-examined)"

Stupid ideas only become dandgerous when no one bothers to refute them.

Pearse

                "To someone with a hammer, many things
                look like nails that need banging in"

Pearse Ward