advice for girls interested in sexism

Terry Parks Terry.Parks at launchpad.unc.edu
Fri Feb 10 23:12:29 EST 1995

>     I have been involved in more than a few "introduce-children-to-
>careers-in-science" functions.  There are a couple of paths you can
>take:
>1.  Find working women scientist/speakers from the nearest large
>pharmaceutical company, biotech company or university.

And why not male scientists? Most of the best scientists are, in fact,
male. In addition, not restricting your applicant pool will greatly
facilitate getting one. (Of course I'm assuming that you're not
talking about "introduce-children-to-careers-in-science-and-coerce-them-
to-embrace-female-sexism".)

>One of the
>greatests impressions you can make on a girl is for her to see that a
>woman has been successful in science and loves what she does.

Only a girl prone to embrace sexism. A non-sexist girl would be more
impressed by the scientific ability of a scientist rather than a sharing
of the same genitals.

>2.  A favorite trick used by many women scientist/speakers is to have
>the teacher ask the group to draw a picture of a scientist prior to the
>talk.  They are again asked to do the same after the talk.  99% of the
>time, the first pictures are of old white men in a labcoat!

My, aren't we the devil, demonizing people who are male, Caucasian, and
elderly (as though this is something they have control over). I suppose you
were subject to such brainwashing as a youth and hence your sexism.

Launchpad is an experimental internet BBS. The views of its users do not
necessarily represent those of UNC-Chapel Hill, OIT, or the SysOps.