Should I change my surname?

Susan Koester Koester at sc2.salk.edu
Wed Feb 8 18:06:39 EST 1995

In article <3h6u42$ves at quartz.ucs.ualberta.ca> Deborah Merriam,
dmerriam at gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca writes:
> I am getting married this coming summer, and I'm trying to decide
whether
> to keep by birth name as-is or take my beloved's surname.

I've dealt with the same problem, although I admit that I didn't agonize.
 Neither my husband or I ever considered changing our names.  Having
published before had little to do with my decision, partly because there
was another woman in the lab who had changed her name and simply
explained that fact on her CV (with a line that said something like: some
publications appeared under my maiden name of Smith).  My husband,
similarly, is a citizen of another country which doesn't have a treaty
allowing for dual citizenship with the US.  So he won't change his
citizenship (and neither will I), although he has become a permanent
resident.  Ironically, the only person who's given me a hard time about
not changing my name has been my mother.  The rest of my family has
decided to change it and addresses me as such (which doesn't really
matter except to the post office) and I decided there are bigger problems
in the world to worry about.  Once my grandfather asked me how I'd like
to be called and gave me the options of Mrs. Chitnis, Ms. Chitnis, Ms.
Koester-Chitnis.  I replied that I'd like to be called Dr. Koester,
thanks very much.  He seems to have ignored me.  Oh well.  The bank knows
I'm Susan Koester.  The IRS knows I'm Susan Koester.  The journal editors
know I'm Susan Koester.  And I know I'm Susan Koester.  Where else does
it matter?  Just my 2 cents.