The Work Shoe?

Julia A. Keith Julia.A.Keith at DARTMOUTH.EDU
Wed Feb 8 11:55:51 EST 1995

As to Tom's comments about riding shoes-as an equestrian, i learned early never
to ride in anything without a heel as your foot can slip through the stirrup
easier (of course if you ride correctly this shouldn't happen anyway, but
that's another story...).  However, the heel we're talking about here is 1/2
inch to an inch and the width of the boot-check out "hunt boots" or "saddle
seat boots" which are for riding, not "cowboy boots" which have gone the way of
fashion.  This bears no resemblance to the 2-3 inch stilletto heels most pumps
come with.

As to why women wear them-when I worked for the biotechnology lab of the US
Army RD&E Center, one of the generals insisted that all lab personnel brief
outsiders in appropriate attire.  This was spelled out as ties and jackets for
guys and heels and skirts for women.  Since you came away from the lab to
brief, it was easy for guys to shed the tie and jacket upon return to the
bench-not so easy for women to shed the skirt and heels-though I confess to
having ballet slippers at my desk to relax with.

Julie Keith