The Work Shoe?

Michelle McNair mymcnair at UCDAVIS.EDU
Wed Feb 8 13:34:29 EST 1995

As a grad student, I'm clinging firmly to my tennies & my hiking boots,
but I imagine one of these days I'll feel the need to dress up for work
again (ditching my pumps was actually one of the driving factors for me
to return to school!)

The thing is, I still actually like heels OCCASIONALLY (so flame me) but
only when I want to wear them.  The biggest problem with pumps seems to
be that they are too narrow and the soles are sooo thin that your feet
are just beaten to death if you're on them for any length of time.  I
worked in the insurance industry for eight years, heels & suits every
day, and my feet are actually damaged from the ordeal.  Since my middle
toe stuck out a little further than my big toe, it got crammed into pumps
and developed into a hammer toe, where it is permanently curled under.
This is not cool, and it hurts still.

Have you thought about dressy sandals at all?  They are far more
comfortable than pumps, and seem to have all but disappeared about ten
years ago.  I used to love them, at least your toes were happy....

Thanks for trying!!
Michelle