teratogen exposure

Pat Wilson paw at coos.dartmouth.edu
Sat Feb 4 16:26:23 EST 1995

barb at nmrfam.wisc.edu (Barb Lewis) writes:

>I think it *should* be OK to make sure all women know that
>some kinds of scientific activities are too dangerous during pregnancy. We
>are only talking about 9 months (possibly twice) during a whole career,
>with the health of a new human being at stake.  >

Huh?  *Too dangerous*?  Ok - crossing the street is "too dangerous",
too.  Better still, let's just put all those Mommies-to-be in
a cocoon for 9 months while they're incubating.  Ooo - but it usually
takes a while before women know that they're pregnant - maybe science
is *too dangerous* for _any_ woman who's (hetero)sexually active.
Wouldn't want to cause harm to a defenseless being, would we?

Jeez - this is what we've been fighting *against* for the last 50 years!
Life is dangerous.  Bearing children is dangerous.  Certainly, women
(and men) should be (made) aware of possible dangers from procedures
and chemicals, but there's no reason to treat anyone as thought they're
unable to make rational, informed decisions.  Women should _not_ be
singled out because of biological ability to bear children.  Treat the
warning as a matter of course - if someone has a problem with it, it's
*their* responsibility to voice it.

I can't _imagine_ working in an environment where I was _required_ to
tell a supervisor about a pregnancy.

--
Pat Wilson
paw at coos.dartmouth.edu