compromises

Lori Kohlstaedt kohlstaedt at sbmm1.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 15 16:32:18 EST 1994

OK, So here's a personal story.  I started grad school when the molecular
biology revolution was still new and hot.  In fact, one of my calssmates
actually said, "If I don't get to clone a gene, I'll just die."  I chose a
protein chemist as a research advisor and did very hard core biochemistry
all through grad school with only a minimal amount of molecular biology.
Next, I learned to be an X ray crystallographer as a post doc -- another
(then) unpopular choice.

Well, now I'm a Chemistry Professor and it's exactly those unpopular skills
that landed me in this position.  The moral, I think, is that if your
esoteric tastes make you stand out from a crowd in a positive way they can
be a real advantage.  The trick is to be ahead of the next scientific
revolution rather than behind, which is largely just luck.
Lori Kohlstaedt
Dept. of Chemistry, UCSB
(805) 893-8687
<Reciprocal Space, the Final Frontier>