re-great advisor; bad situation

Cheng-Li Jane Lee clee at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Mon Nov 14 19:41:06 EST 1994

Hi, this is the first time I wrote to Women in Biology.  I have a great
advisor but I never appreciate the way of his help.  All I need is time for
my research.  His lab is pretty huge in size, about 27, including staff,
secretry, researchers, technicians, post-docs and graduate students.  I am
the only one among 7 graduate students in his lab who holds teaching
assistantship.  Because I am able to teach in English (I am from Taiwan)
and the others (all foreigners) can't, because my program supports me and
the others' don't (I am in the different program from the others'), my
advisor always put his students on research assistantship except me.  This
situation drove me mad for sometimes he growled at me for my slow pregress
in research or the much time I put on outside of the lab (i.e teaching!).
But I worked 12-14 hours a day for teaching and research, and 7 days a
week.  One more serious thing I hated was he used my data to support some
other persons' work because I worked slower than he expected.  I argued
with him about my timing and data problem.  The first reply was I was able
to teach and he treated every one in his lab equally, I shouldn't complain.
(What a surprise!)  The second was he needed data for grants and paper.
But how about my own work and paper?  I stayed until late night to work on
my research, and he did not appreciate it at all, all he wanted was data
and final results.

I simply want to know how to survive in this situation.  I try to attend
conferences (I am the only student in his lab who can do it and regularly
go.  He is a big guy who always lectures in meetings), balance my time (I
am the only single person without any obligation in his lab.)  But I really
hate such a difference that I am always the only one in a specific
category.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Jane Lee
clee at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu