Grad school

Melisande MRW5 at psuvm.psu.edu
Wed Nov 9 15:01:12 EST 1994

As a graduate student, I was wondering about reactions people
have experienced or seen, to a female student having a child during
grad school.  I know of 2 here in my own department, and both of
their advisors are really good about it, but I was wondering if it's
an advisor-specific thing.  As I'm in the process of choosing an
advisor, and it's something my fiance and I are thinking about a few
years down the road, it's a question of current interest.  Also, how
good are various universities about providing daycare?  I know that
it is literally impossible to get into the university-run daycare
program right now -- I don't know why, just what I've heard.  So
far, both of the people I've worked with have been really good
about my dogs (we've been having some health problems that had
to be taken care of), but that's certainly different than a child
who absolutely can't be left home alone all day.
Thanks.
Melisande