Irrelevant posts, or what?

kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 11:51:47 EST 1994

I've just logged on after an absence; and found one posting from someone
apparently named Walter who assumes that aliens would be anthropocentric and
asks us to educate him in 100 words about biodiversity; and a posting about a
very generalised survey asking some very simple-minded questions about race
relations.

Is this group no longer monitored in any way? What happened to the intelligent
discussions about women in biology and the related natural sciences? I don't
think that the posts to which I have referred are relevant to this particular
newsgroup; the first because it is specious and immature scientifically, and
the latter because it is generalised, unvalidated, and we have no way of
knowing whether the survey instrument had any coverage of any scientific
disciplines; and also because it seems that the underlying point is not about
gender but about race.

What happened to the group letter we were thinking about writing to Science
about their coverage of post-doctoral careers in science?

Dr. Katherine J. Kaye
kkaye at vax.ox.ac.uk