What is the deal?

Christoph Gartmann GARTMANN at IMMUNBIO.MPG.DE
Tue May 24 13:53:55 EST 1994

In <199405241501.IAA00972 at net.bio.net> ADREGER at UCS.INDIANA.EDU writes:

> What is with the advertising on womenbionet?  I just got an ad for
> "Skinny Dip," hoping it was a joke, but clearly it wasn't.  Does anyone
> know who sent that, and does it violate any rules?

This junk has appeared on all newsgroups I am subscribed to (around 20 & very
different ones) so I suppose it has been posted to the whole hierarchy :-(

In general, commercial advertising is considered at least as "not appropriate"
on most newsgroups.

What to do in such cases?
- Ignore it, no followups (I am doing wrong actually ;-) )
- send a message to the original poster telling him what you think about his
  post (imagine a few thousand readers doing it, the poster will enjoy his
  mailbox, especially if you use a slightly different "Subject:"-line in your
  reply than the original one)
- send a complaint to the postmaster of the original posting (replace the
  leftmost part of the "From:"-address with the word "postmaster"). Perhaps
  the account in question will be removed from the system.

Regards
  Christoph Gartmann

| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-465   Fax: -221       |
| Immunbiologie                 PSI     : PSI%(0262)45050160374::GARTMANN    |
| Postfach 1169                 Internet: gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de           |
| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                                     |
+----------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for OpenVMS? -----------+