couples

Janet Ott ottj at ELWHA.EVERGREEN.EDU
Mon May 23 16:00:09 EST 1994

God only knows why I'm getting back into this, but here's my two cents
(or is it 4 with inflation, or 3 because I'm "only" a woman.  I find it
interesting that this discussion is splitting along gender lines.  The
guys all feel it's unfair and exploitative to share a position, and the
women all feel it's fine as long as the couple is content.  Cathy
Quinones is right - if they agree to the position, then it's fine.  What
are you guys worried about really?  "sharing?"  Having "only half a
position?"  Not being in "full control?"  What is going on?  We all
overwork, we all compromise.  None of us isn't exploited by a college.
These positions allow us to make different (and for some, better) choices
than others offered.
	By the way, our couple is also tenured, own a home, etc., etc.

Janet Ott, Ph. D.  Lab I The Evergreen State College