Dual career couples

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Wed May 18 15:58:23 EST 1994

I didn't see the original post but I gather that someone asked whether dual
career couples in the same field have managed to obtain jobs.  I would like to
offer myself and my husband (Felix Eckentein) as proof that this is possible.
We were both hired at OHSU in 1986- I got the tenure track job in the medical
school, and he got a soft money position at the Vollum Institute.  Later, when
he became unhappy about the soft money job, we started searching for jobs
elsewhere and virtually had offers for two independent postitions in the same
dept at another major medical school when my Chair decided to hire him into a
tenure track job to keep us both here.  We both got tenure two years ago.  I
should add that a number of dual career couples have been hired here recently.
Usually one was actively recruited, and the other was hired (usually in another
department) as part of the recruitment package.  Nowadays so many candidates
are part of dual career marriages that any recruitment MUST take both careers
into account in order to be competitive for the best people.

Rae Nishi
Oregon Health Sciences University
Portland Oregon