Dual career couples

Janet Ott ottj at ELWHA.EVERGREEN.EDU
Tue May 17 15:37:26 EST 1994

Well, here I am again.  I finally got to the original message with the
original point.  Ignore the last two postings.  We have several same sex
couples here on campus, again, both faculty/faculty and faculty/staff.
Most found each other after each was hired separately, but at least one
couple came out here together and both were hired.  And I know a couple
who left here to go to St. Lawrence, a small liberal arts school in
upstate N.Y., to be hired as a V.P and conference coordinator,
respectively.
	While it is not a stigma on our campus to be out (the campus
sponsors one of, if not the, largest gay/lesbian film festivals in the
country), most aren't out when hired.  However, more recently (in the
last three years or so) several people have been hired specifically
because they were gay or lesbian and a need was seen for the particular area.

Janet Ott, Ph. D.  Lab I The Evergreen State College