teaching load

Janet Ott ottj at ELWHA.EVERGREEN.EDU
Sat May 14 12:13:56 EST 1994

On Sat, 14 May 1994, ctimpte wrote:

> 				In the current academic job market, I was loathe to do this, but I
> recently turned down a job offer from a small, 5000 student state college
> branch. The reason? They expected one to teach 12 hours per semester
> and DO RESEARCH. I thought this load seemed extremely heavy.
>
> 				I would like to casually survey teaching loads at colleges and
> universities of readers of this net. Would you please take a second and
> send me the particulars of your research/teaching loads?
> This position was for a molecular biologist, and the courses to be taught
> were not graduate level, only undergraduate.
>
> 			I will be happy to post the results to help inform other job seekers!
>
> Thank you,
> Candace
> ctimpte at bio.indiana.edu
>
> I teach at a small (3200) liberal arts college that focuses entirely on
teaching.  It's a very alternative campus and has evaluative comments
rather than grades, collaberative, team taught full time all year
programs rather than courses.  So I start from a strange place.
None-the-less, it might be useful to have data from a place where
teaching is really the goal and focus.  Since we teach only one program
per year, you might think it a light load.  (when I got the job, another
post-doc were I was doing research said he envied me "retiring" to the
world of teaching, having then, time to read and do other things - yeah,
right)  Not so - we have an average of 16 contact hours/week and when we
do lab courses, I have been as high as 28.  We usually have a lecture or
two, workshop or lab, and a seminar or two a week.  Each of those
generally run two-three hours.  We work ourselves to death.  The deans
have nothing to do with it - we do this to ourselves, bitching and
moaning the entire time, but unwilling to lighten our loads.  Do we loath
it - not in the least - I've had more fun here than in any time in the
rest of my life - we are continually learning new things, exploring
better ways of teaching and generally doing what we want.
	Do we get research done.  Yes and no.  It takes an enormous time
to figure the place out - new folks decide whether to stay within the
first six months, but if they do, they're here for life, and not just
because it's tought to "get out."  The older faculty have established
research.  I've been here eight years and am just figuring out how to
incorporate work into my life.  It is doable, but difficult.  It's done
in a number of ways.  Incorporating into one's teaching; splitting a
position with one's research colleague; or hiring a lab aide.
	So that's the life of one at a small teaching focused college.
Hope this helps your informal research.