confidence and science

Su K. Koester at sc2.salk.edu
Sat Jul 23 19:49:28 EST 1994

In article <23JUL199418482541 at utarlg.uta.edu> WALKER,
akw8387 at utarlg.uta.edu writes:
>   If anyone has any info on schools with decent biochemistry programs
in DFW (or Tx in
> general), please let me know.

I'm not a biochemist but I am a former Texan and a PhD, if that counts.
I'd have a look at Baylor (in Houston) or Southwestern (in Dallas) as a
start.  Both are quite good in Bio in general so I'm willing to bet their
biochem. is above average, at least.  Alternatively, ask your advisor.

As for starting in a new program in a new place, what I found (after
moving from undergrad in NYC to a PhD program in St. Louis) was that
practically everyone else was coming in from outside as well.  We formed
our own 'new students' support group.  Now we're all finished (having
helped each other through classes, prelims, proposals, and defenses) and
still try to get together at meetings and such.  It's great to have a
group of people going through the same tribulations at the same time.
We're all in various stages of post-doc now and trading war stories of
how tough it appears to be to get a faculty position these days.

The thing to remember is just because it seems difficult to you, doesn't
make you incapable of finishing.  Grad school is just tough and the best
predictor I know of for who will finish is persistence.  Oh, and one more
thing is if you know that public speaking is especially difficult for
you, look for a program with an active grad student seminar series.
Somehow talking to your fellow students about what you're working on is
much less threatening than talking to a whole department.  Eventually
you'll find that the post-docs and faculty seem more like peers and less
like superiors or adversaries.

Good luck!