confidence and science

WALKER,ANGELA,KAYE akw8387 at utarlg.uta.edu
Sat Jul 23 19:48:00 EST 1994

 I am new to the net and am very pleased to see this group.  I am currently
working on my PhD at the same school where I received my BS. The initial
reason I decided to persue my PhD was that it was less intimidating than
looking for a job and going to all of those horrible interviews.  I guess
that I assume that I will also undergo a miraculous transformation sometime
in the near future or else the fear of doing my oral defense of my reasearch
is likely to kill me.

    There really is no one to help with this anxiety.  It is a small department
and the only women faculty are secretaries or stockroom personell.  There
is only one other American female in the department and she feels about like
me.  For some reason, the Chinese women I know don't have these anxieties.
I guess if they are brave enough to go halfway around the world to go to
school, not much else would bother them.

   It is a little disheartening not to have women around who have been through
what we are going through. I also have recently discovered (unofficially) that
the professor that I was hoping to do my research with is unlikely to get
tenure and will be gone within the next two years.  As I have only completed
one year of studies, there is no time for me to finish (there are only two
biochemistry professors in the dept. and the other one is more involved in
administration than he is in research).  My advisor told me that I should
transfer.

     I have been here for 5 years and my family is nearby so I am
quite chicken to leave.  I admit, however, that it would probably be best
for me to go to a larger school with a more comprehensive program.  If anyone
has any info on schools with decent biochemistry programs in DFW (or Tx in
general), please let me know.  I would also appreciate any tips on adjusting
to a new place after becoming so comfortable where you're at.

Thanks in advance for any info or tips,

Angela