grad school

Su K. Koester at sc2.salk.edu
Fri Jul 22 18:12:05 EST 1994

In article <20JUL199414413500 at ucsvax.sdsu.edu> DELFINO R,
horvath at ucsvax.sdsu.edu writes:
>  I think it would be better to work with a
> group of people you enjoy, on something not so interesting,
> than to work on the more interesting projects with people
> you can't stand.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this.  First of all, ideally you have
both.  But during my PhD work, I found that there were plenty of times
that my advisor (one of the best around, I have to say in retrospect) and
I were on completely different wavelengths.  During those times, the only
thing that kept me going was the project, being so wrapped up in it that
I couldn't even think of quitting until I got an answer.  When picking a
post-doc advisor, I had a choice between an advisor I liked alot and a
project I wasn't so hot on vs. an advisor I was unsure of with a fabulous
project.  I went for the latter.  And again, it's the project that keeps
me here.  I don't think I could work with people I couldn't stand, but
then a boring project doesn't get me into lab on a weekend, either.