children and careers

K. Nelson KXN4 at psuvm.psu.edu
Mon Jul 18 10:01:32 EST 1994

I am the proud parent of a soon-to-be 1 year old.  I wouldn't trade it for a
minute.  I and my husband are both Ph.D biologists--dual-career and kids!  I
am currently strictly research (soft-money) and my husband received tenure this
year. Yeah!  There is no perfect time to have kids.  We were never quite sure
whether we wanted kids, but once we decided we would be good parents, we never
looked back.  At what ever time you have kids--grad school, post-doc, faculty--
you will find a way to make it work.

BTW, I was 33 when I had my son.  I did a first 2 year post-doc with a commuter
marriage (my husband started his faculty position).  A bit difficult to
conceive when you are in two different cities.  I then joined him with soft
money.  Now the big question in our lives, do we have another?

K. Nelson
Senior Research Associate
Penn State Univ., Dept. Biology