hello!

rapienmk at hiram.edu rapienmk at hiram.edu
Sat Jul 16 18:17:48 EST 1994

In article <306t44$27u at chaos.dac.neu.edu>, bnorum at chaos.dac.neu.edu (becky norum) writes:

> Any thoughts?   Does anyone here ever feel that in becoming a scientists
> she has had to sacrifice part of her femininity since we do not
> generally believe that 'feminine' characteristics are also scientific
> ones?
>
> Becky
> (bnorum at lynx.dac.neu.edu)

  I can't say a whole lot about attitudes toward women scientists out in the
"real" world, since I am still an undergraduate student, but I do not think
femininity need be compromised in any way.  My best friend just told me that
she decided to be a doctor, a gyn because she wants to help women.  Now that
she has entered the field of biology, we've talked about women in bio, and
come to some wonderful conclusions.  I think it is fair to say that women do
think a little differently from men, which gives science a wonderful
opportunity to learn more, to learn in different ways.   I think we -need-
more women in biology, to add a fresh perspective.
  No, I don't feel in any way that I need to compromise a single part of my
feminity.  I am a woman, and I am a biologist, and they are both equally
important --- I would not be the biologist that I am if I weren't a woman, and
I wouldn't be the woman I am if I didn't love biology.

                                                                mary