hello!

Chrissy McAllister ca_mcallister at pnl.gov
Fri Jul 15 17:44:36 EST 1994

In article <306t44$27u at chaos.dac.neu.edu>, bnorum at chaos.dac.neu.edu (becky norum) says:

>Any thoughts?   Does anyone here ever feel that in becoming a scientists
>she has had to sacrifice part of her femininity since we do not
>generally believe that 'feminine' characteristics are also scientific
>ones?
>
>Becky
>(bnorum at lynx.dac.neu.edu)

I've been wrestling with that exact question since I took my present job.
My business card says "Research Scientist" but sometimes I wonder!!! :^)
I've found that I've had to become much more aggressive when it comes to
finding work and proving myself.  I have the added drawback
(or is it an advantage) of being just out of school (I'm 23).  I guess I don't feel
that I've sacrificed any of my femininity, since I feel that strength, reason, logic,
etc. are definitely female qualities.  I HAVE felt, however, that I have to act
borderline arrogant in order to get any sort of respect.  I'm wondering, though,
if it really is a gender question or if it's just my work environment (which can
get pretty territorial!)

On a somewhat related note, I have noticed and interesting trend when I post
 questions to any scientific group on the net.  If I sign a "feminine" version
of my name (e.g. Chrissy, Christine), the responses I get are primarily short,
rude, and condescending.  If I sign "Chris," leaving my gender open to
question, I get much more detailed and helpful responses.  That's just been
*my* experience, though.  Anyone else?

Chrissy McAllister
Battelle Pacific Northwest Lab
ca_mcallister at pnl.gov