Children and Careers

CEC100G at ODUVM.BITNET CEC100G at ODUVM.BITNET
Fri Jul 15 10:36:19 EST 1994

I am 32 years old and just finishing my Ph.D.  I am married and we both would
like kids and I feel that the clock is beginning to tick faster and faster.
I am getting quite concerned over this issue because I want to have children
soon, especially when I consider how old I'll be when they reach their college
years but I also recognize that as a new Ph.D. I should be getting out there
and grabbing all the experience that I can.  Even if I land a job ASAP that
is permanent, how long should one wait to have children?  I ask this from an
ethical context in relation to responsibilities as an employee and also in
terms of what my legal rights are.  I wonder what sort of considerations
one must make in an academic environment?  I feel torn and also a bit resentful
that I could conceivably find myself 5 years down the road, still not ever
having children while I pursue career options.

I would like to hear from other women.  Having children is a choice and
along with these choices we make are certain repercussions, for good or
bad.  What choices have you made?  What insights do you have?  Have you ever
been descriminated against due to the possibility that you might
"reproduce" and "be out of commission"?

Thanks: I hope to hear your comments

Chris