What is Success

Sarah Pallas pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu
Mon Jan 31 17:30:06 EST 1994

Just a perhaps amusing observation.  Like many women, and men too, I
assumed that I was lacking something when I first started in grad
school because everybody else seemed so smart.  My mentors did little
to discourage this opinion, but that's another story.  As I get older,
I find that it was basically a lack of self esteem on my part.  Now I
see not so much that I am smarter than I thought, though that's part
of it, but that everyone else is NOT as smart as I thought.  Largely
they were faking it and fooling me.  Men (some men, I don't like
sweeping generalizations) seem to be better at this than most women.
Women are more likely to preface their comments with "I think", or
"I'm not sure, but", whereas men seem more willing to make strong
statements and pretend they know they're right, even though they know
they're not.  They sound so sure of themselves I think they must
really know what they're talking about!

I'm sure I've opened a can of worms here, but I like the fact that
there's been some actual discussion on this net lately.  Sorry if I've
offended anyone.

Sarah Pallas