pornography at work

Karen Kroslowitz kroz at bishop.bishop.hawaii.org
Fri Jan 28 14:06:52 EST 1994

I'm with Alice Dreger on this one! And (I think) with Kate McCain,
although Ireally believe this is more than just abusing computer equipment
as she says.
Alice is right - head for your advisor's or Women's Affairs offices today!
I have never had a problem with sexual harassment in quite this way,
although a situation does come to mind.
A couple guys here print a biannual spoof news bulletin. Often, references
have been made to female anatomy and bodily functions in general. Kinda
crass, but usually amusing and rarely insulting - these guys are pretty
sensitive to that. Anyway, I once submitted something for the bulletin,
a particular spoof about male anatomy based on a real classified ad I once
saw for a comparative chart of the male copulatroy organs of the animal
kingdom. Reading the ad, posted in a national environmental magazine, you
had to laugh and at the same time blush a bit to think that this was a
real chart for sale. While the guys thought my submission was funny, as I
also spoofed a particular person who became known 'round the globe for
"losing"his organ after his wife took a knife to it.... they don't appear
to be too anxious to print it.
Perhaps I went too far by putting it on paper and expecting them to print
it. (It IS funny!) Or perhaps, they find the whole idea too *painful* to
discuss as a joke. This would have been fine around *our* lunch table
because it's pretty much open forum for any discussions. Maybe these guys
just can't take it when the shoe is on the other foot.
My point is, sexual harassment is a tough point to prove (ask Anita Hill),
but pornography on a computer screened, displayed without discretion and
during work hours (and on company owned computers) is obviously not
something any supervisor would be happy about. Go to him/her first and see
if the problem is resolved. If it isn't, to your satisfaction, go to the
Women's Affairs office. No matter what, and no matter how much you want to
embarass these guys, maintain a sense of professionalism and dignity.
Don't lower yourself to their lack of standards!

Karen J. Kroslowitz			phone: 808-848-4118
Natural Sciences, Malacology		fax:   808-841-8968
Bernice P. Bishop Museum		kroz at bishop.bishop.hawaii.org